I used to write a summary of the passing year around this time. I don’t remember if I did it last year—if I did, I don’t remember where I kept it or if I posted it online. Usually I blogged about the year’s end when I had an active Livejournal account, where people read my babbles, rambles, and teen thoughts… and where/when I didn’t care if people knew about me—now I find it quite exposing. However, I am writing this because I want to remember. I could write it in paper but I’m typing it here. I find it easier to connect with my brain if I type (with a serif font) instead of exercising my hand with a pen.
2014 was as stable a year could be. It started with the continuation of my last year of taking graduate classes, which was a nice feeling considering the themes of the courses I was taking (law, culture of fear, and thesis research). It also was the last semester I worked officially as a research assistant. It was an extremely rewarding experience even though it was tiring, mentally draining, sometimes boring, and got me feeling like I was on-call all the time. I learned a lot from it but mostly from my mentor (she is a badass, brilliant, inspiring human). I still help her whenever she needs me. It is an amazing feeling having someone that wants to make the most of the potential she sees in me, and genuinely wants the best—a true mentor. She wrote the greatest recommendation letter for a research grant for thesis work. I’m still surprised that someone outside my family and my partner thinks so highly of me.
That grant… I got it! It is helping me to live nicely, pay my stuff, and write my thesis—which is 80% done. Exciting! And scary.
Lastly in the academic part (which is like 75%) of my life: I exchanged emails with a British researcher that kindly sent me a copy of an unpublished paper he wrote for a conference (SCORE!); and I just sent my very first submission to an academic conference. *high fives for me*
The other 25% of my life I will divide in categories (the ones that matter).
Self (or related):
- My partner and I spent our 6-year anniversary in a local vintage-inspired hotel. It was so nice! We want to go back soon.
- The night of our anniversary he asked the awkward question in the patio of the hotel with cats as our witnesses. A week later he gave me the most amazing oxidized silver ring with a black onyx.
- Soon after that lovely mini-vacation and our engagement, my partner got into a car crash that could have killed him if it wasn’t for the safety belt. His car was declared total loss.
- I have a car of my own, again, after 7 years.
- I got diagnosed with mild rosacea, among other things I don’t want to write here.
- Irrelevant as it is, I have lived for 25 years.
- Elvira had her 7th birthday!
- My sister and I adopted a parakeet that invaded our apartment through the balcony. Recently he got himself a male companion.
- We also got a fish tank with guppies, and a betta in a separate tank.
- I fell in love with Korean cuisine.
- I shaved my head, and have been doing so for the last 3-to-4 months.
- I reconnected with a person I once called a friend. I’m glad I did.
- If I am happy and satisfied with myself and my decisions, it’s alright. The rest, people and surroundings included, is bullshit.
I didn’t went to the cinema as much as I would’ve liked. Most of the films and series I watched, I did so through online streaming or Netflix.
New film releases I watched: Devil’s Due, A Fantastic Fear of Everything, The Grand Budapest Hotel; Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Maleficent; Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhass, Rigor Mortis, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes; Lucy, Happy Christmas, The Boxtrolls; The Book of Life, Birdman, John Wick, and Interstellar. Of these I love: The Boxtrolls and The Book of Life.
New film releases I didn’t watch but wanted to: Automata, Jodorowsky’s Dune, The Babadook, Horns, Only Lovers Left Alive, and Under the Skin.
TV series I watched: Hannibal, Vikings, Penny Dreadful; Salem (incomplete because it’s so bad), Game of Thrones, House of Cards; Orange is the New Black, Downton Abbey, Les Revenants; Reign, Peaky Blinders, The Paradise; The Killing, A Young Doctor’s Notebook, and Princess Jellyfish. I also rewatched Buffy, and Fringe. Of those I (still) love: Hannibal, Vikings, House of Cards; Downton Abbey, Les Revenants, The Killing, and Princess Jellyfish. Recently I started watching Psycho-Pass but I haven’t finished it. I’m liking it though.
According to Last.fm, my top 10 music artists in 2014 were: Wardruna, Ghost, Corvus Corax; Faith and the Muse, And One, Sigue Sigue Sputnik; Los Carniceros del Norte, Nekromantix, Eyaculación Post Mortem and Die Antwoord. My most listened song was Wardruna’s Rotlaust Tre Fell. This says a lot about me.
My makeup collection reduced substantially because (1) I decided to switch to cruelty-free products, and (2) the rosacea diagnosis changed everything. So far, 80% of the products I use are cruelty-free.
Favorite brands through 2014: Tarte, Cover FX, Illamasqua; Kat von D, Hourglass, Morgana Cryptoria; Pretty Zombie Cosmetics, Sugarpill Cosmetics, and NYX Cosmetics.
Favorite products in 2014:
- Dr. Jart+ Dis-A-Pore Beauty Balm
- Cover FX Total Cover Cream Foundation
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation
- Cover FX Pressed Mineral Foundation
- NARS Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
- Caudalíe Lip Conditioner
- Urban Decay eyeshadow in Backdoor and Barlust
- Sugarpill Cosmetics eyeshadow in Bulletproof
- Wet N Wild eyeshadow in Brulee
- Kat von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes mascara
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Exposed
- Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Bauhau5, Outlaw, and Bachelorette
- NYX Cosmetics Lip Primer
- NYX Cosmetics Simply Vamp Lip Creams
- Morgana Cryptoria lipsticks in general
I don’t want to have high expectations for 2015. I don’t want to have a list of resolutions because that’s depressing. I’m pretty content with my life right now as it is. Moving abroad is the one thing I want to do the most but that takes time, planning, and money.
Reachable goals for next year: more tattoos, switch fully to cruelty-free products, apply to post-graduate programs; publish and/or present papers, graduate from my MA program, have an income, and reduce my stress levels.