A little over a year ago, I blogged about my makeup routine during the disgusting months of higher temperatures (June, July, and August). A lot has changed since that post: I got diagnosed with mild rosacea, some of the products I was using started to break me out and/or I got tired of using them, and I switched to (mostly) cruelty-free products. Here’s the updated list of makeup and skincare products I am using during these summer months.
In the skincare realm is where most of the changes occurred. I switched from Boscia and Clinique to First Aid Beauty and Ole Henriksen (with a medicated sulfur cleanser, and Aczone treatment when needed).
- Cleanser: First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser
I love this cleanser. I’ve repurchased it around 4 times already.
- Treatment: First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads
I don’t use this every day because my face takes a lot of time to dry after applying this. I did notice a difference in the size of my pores when I was using it two times a day.
- Sunscreen: MD Solar Sciences Broad Spectrum SPF 50 UVA-UVB Sunscreen / Tarte Tarteguard SPF 30
MD is a mineral sunscreen, fragrance-free, and water resistant. It works perfectly under makeup.
Lately, when I’m not going to wear makeup, I’ve been reaching to Tarte’s Tarteguard. I find it too heavy to wear under makeup.
- Eye cream: First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy
I don’t have much to say about this eye cream. Sometimes I think it works. I’m not sure about it yet. I like how it feels though.
- Lip treatment: Notoriously Morbid Coffin Kisser
Best lip balm ever. Period. I bought three (Lemon Pound Cake, Lovecraft’s Limoncello, and Poe’s Pistachio Cream), and I lovelovelove them. I use them every day! (I can’t sleep if I don’t have moisturized my lips–really, I’m not kidding).
- Night cream: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream / Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation / Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Vitamin C Collagen Booster
I don’t always wear night cream but when I do, it’s one of these. FAB’s Ultra Repair Cream is technically an all-around cream, and I do like to use it on my body, but I mostly use it for my face. When I can get my hands on some Ole Henriksen love, I use Sheer Transformation or the Vitamic C Collagen Booster. Both of them have vitamin C, which my skin seems to adore.
Now, in the realm of makeup, some things have changed while others stayed the same. I’m not going to talk about what I still use religiously: Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel, and Wet N Wild Eyeshadow in Brulee (the only makeup product I have backups of).
- Foundation: a mix of Tarte BB Tinted Treament SPF 30 with Dr. Jart+ BB Dis-A-Pore SPF 30
I tried to find a cruelty-free BB/CC/tinted moisturizer I liked more than Dr. Jart+ (not cruelty-free) but I couldn’t find one! To better match my complexion, I mix it with the Tarte one.
- Concealer: Cover FX Total Cover Cream Foundation SPF 30
I didn’t like it as a foundation but I love it as an under-eye and spot concealer.
- Face Powder: Nars Light Reflecting Setting (Loose) Powder
This was a recommendation from a Sephora’s sales associate. It is great even though it flashes back horribly.
- Eyebrows: Illamasqua Eye Brow Cake in Gaze
I love this. That’s all I can say.
- Eyeshadows: Tarte’s Tan-gled Up in You, and Bare to Explore (both from the Rainforest After Dark palette) over Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
The first one is the perfect contour shade for my eyes, and the second one is the pinker choice for a nude eye.
- Eyeliner: Tarte Tarteist Clay Paint Liner in Black / Kat von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
I’ve been using both for a couple of weeks now and I love them both for different reasons: Tarte Tarteist is the blackest black ever and it looks beautiful with the big wings I’ve been doing lately. However, the first tube I bought broke after two uses, and that pissed me off. Kat von D Tattoo Liner is amazing for detail work and lazy days; it is just so easy to apply!
- Mascara: Lancôme Hypnôse Drama / Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes Statement Mascara
I’m using Lancôme again because I got a sample of it. Before, I was using my trusty Lights, Camera, Flashes (I’m on my third tube!). Honestly, I don’t understand why this Tarte mascara is ignored. It does everything (volume, curl, length, lasting power) for my lashes! You just have to learn how to use both sides of the brush (it even has numbers on each side).
- Cheeks: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blushes (mostly Dim Infusion or Incandescent Electra) / Tarte Park Ave. Princess Matte Bronzer
I love these products! Sometimes I mix the blushes. Sometimes I use blush and bronzer (to contour). Sometimes I lightly bronze (but not too much, I like paleness).
- Lips: Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw and Vampira, and Colourpop Lippie Stix in Lumiere
I’m still in love with mattes, and liquid lipsticks. And I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon. However, my friend Naelle from De.Lirium talks me into buying lipsticks I wouldn’t normally buy on my own but that I end up loving, like Lumiere. It’s my official I have a job interview/I have to look socially acceptable (fuck you, social standards) lipstick.
- Extras: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light
I bought this recently, and it is magical. I use it as a highlighter, and over my acne scars. The blurring effect is amazing.
When I want to use a heavier coverage, or a real foundation, I use Nars All-Day Luminous Weightless Foundation. I try not to use it every day because it is expensive.
What beauty product are you currently desiring or wanting to buy? I want to try the new liquid lipstick colors from Kat von D!
Yes, lipstick has been my focus over the last two years. No shame.